Sunday, April 27, 2008

Wonder Woman #19 - DC


I'm sorry. Again, I like this book, I love this character . . but I thought this particular story had a very anti-climatic ending. We had such a brilliant set-up last issue. Then this issue . . it just played out kind of weak. Diana is down in this cavern trying to stop this alien ship from destroying all of Khund. Apparently the beings in the ship are nigh unto gods. They've decided that because of the barbarism on the Khund home-world that it would be better just to destroy it and start from scratch. The part I don't understand is, if they're powerful enough to do this . . why do they need a Green Lantern for a bodyguard? Anyways, for whatever reason, they have one and when Diane tries to approach the ship he hails himself as their protector. Last issue the Emperor's daughter was so impressed by Wonder Woman, that she's come down to the cave also to help. While all of this is going on, the Emperor decides that he would rather destroy his planet himself than to let some alien beings do it. Going out on your own terms . . I guess. The Green Lantern and Wonder Woman have fought to a standstill, so to honor her courage he's willing to let her go to stop the Emperor. While she's gone, Etta decides to try to talk to the gods in the ship herself. Surprisingly she makes headway. When Wonder Woman comes back she informs Kho that she stopped her father, but she couldn't save him. And Etta informs Diana that the Ichor have left but in doing so they will hold Diana personally responsible for any interplanetary crimes committed by the Khund Empire in the future. That's an awful lot to be put on her shoulders. So, to help ensure that they stay on the right path, she decides to impart her with part of the Green Lantern's power and let her be the protector of this planet. She plays it that Kaa has no daughter and Kho has no father . . a treaty . . a merging by decree. I hope she ran that idea past the Guardians. If not she'll have them mad at her also. I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong. It just seemed to me that this story could've been stretched out a little bit to make it more dramatic. I mean, she just came to help and now she's personally responsible for everything they do? They're a waring murderous race. It just didn't sit right with me. I think part of the reason I'm frustrated is because usually Gail Simone's stories play out better than this. Like I said maybe it's just me. Bernard Chiang was the artist for this particular issue. It was . . ok. But hey . . next issue Aaron Lopresti takes over as the artist. Yippee! I assume we'll be starting a new story-arc, so hopefully that one will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment