Monday, April 28, 2008

Superman Confidential #14 - DC


Ok. I have to admit . . I have mixed feelings about this one. This is the final issue of this series. That . . I find sad, because I actually like the concept of these Confidential books. I like that we can get a story from anywhere within the Superman, or Batman, myths. I like that they can do this retro-active continuity type thing, where they can put things in place, before, to explain a current story-line. And I like that we can get different types of story-lines than maybe we get regularly in the main titles. But, that being said . . I thought that this story-line . . obviously the final one for this book . . was kind of lame. To me, it just seemed more like the type of story we would've read in any one of the Superman titles back in the 70's. Which at the time . . were great. But, I feel, the stories, and the writing, has become much more evolved and sophisticated since then. Actually, I think the reason I feel this way was a combination of things. Yes, I thought the story was rather simple . . and lame. But, I also, really, didn't like the art that much either. Now when they relaunched the Green Arrow book, and Phil Hester did the art there . . it was pretty decent. But, at that time, there was a great story to back it up. To me it just seemed like the art didn't fit with the story . . this time. Maybe I shouldn't be overly critical and should just enjoy the book. But, I thought, it was distracting. Don't get me wrong. I definitely think Phil is talented. I couldn't do it. But, I just don't think the story and the art complimented each other much this time. So while I was sad that this series has been terminated . . I was also upset that it left on such a sour note. There's no other Superman stories out there, that they couldn't have ended it with more of a blaze of glory? Anyways, I'm going to miss the book. I just hope, maybe, they're going to try something different. Maybe go at it from a different angle. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment