Monday, April 14, 2008

Loveless #23 - Vertigo


I really like this book. I think Brian Azzarello is a writing genius. Also, the way Danijel Zezelj illustrates this book is phenomenal. I love the way he uses colors and shading to set the mood in every one of his panels. The whole book is a piece of art. That being said, I don't really understand what the story in this particular issue has to do with the Loveless "theme" to date. As far as I can tell it has nothing to do with the town of Loveless or with the characters of Wes and Ruth Cutter. In fact this story takes place in Texas, 1934. Bonnie and Clyde are in it, but the story actually comes from an old man in the house that they stop to hold-up in. We never actually learn the old man's name, but the story he's relaying is about him and his friend Jasper. It happened some 60 years ago, when they were 15 and worked the race track circuit as riders. Basically, he's talking about the lessons he's learned in life, and the mistakes he's made. The story climaxes in a scene where he and his friend are competing in a race. He actually wins, but during the ride his friend was thrown . . his back and most of his ribs, shattered. A few days later he died. When dark settles in, Bonnie & Clyde head out. But before leaving, Bonnie gives the man a hug. I thoroughly enjoyed this issue. Like I said, Brian's stories are amazing, and Danijel's art is truly breathtaking. I'm not sure how, or why, it all fits in to the Loveless chronology. But I enjoyed it, none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment