Thursday, April 10, 2008

Birds of Prey #116 - DC


First of all, I love this book. I have right from the beginning. And that love, really has been 2 fold. First of all this book, from it's conception, has had a terrific cast of characters. In my eyes, one of the best in the industry. Secondly, since it's inception, this book has has some fantastic talent on both the scripting and artistic chores. To that end, I have an apology to make. Nicola Scott brought it to my attention that I had made a mistake in assuming her gender. She is . . a she. My bad! When I perused my previous blogs, I noticed that I started out assuming that she was a . . she. That was back around issue #100. Then somewhere along the way, I started calling her "he" instead of "she". Don't know why, and don't know what I was thinking. But, I apologize, and regardless of her gender, I think that she's an incredible talent. Her style caught my eye right from the very beginning, but now I actually think that she's improved from issue to issue. Not to mention that she draws some fantastic feminine characters. Zindy's never looked sexier than she does in her Queen Killer Shark costume. Another great artist on this title as well is Stephane Roux who does the cover art. I was sad when Gail Simone left this title, but overall I think that Sean McKeever is doing a pretty fantastic job with the stories. He and Nicola seem to be working together very well. Anyways, long story short, this issue, Killer Shark is actually the originals grand-son. He was told his grandfather's stories, by his father, as he was growing up and came to idolize him. Eventually he found him and got everything that was left of the old man's Killer Shark identity. Well . . . everything except for his treasure. He never got a chance to tell him about that. So, he figures that Zindy remembers where it's at. Or, at least she will when she's drugged and in her Queen Killer Shark roll. This proves to be true, but his plans change because he decides he likes having these 2 women he can control. Unfortunately, for him, that also proves to be his undoing. But now Zindy and Huntress have this huge treasure so maybe . . . they can use it to help out Barbara. We'll have to wait and see. Also, Black Alice's reasons for joining the group don't seem as altruistic as she first presented. At the end of last issue she stole Misfits powers, which showed Babs that they were actually magic based. This issue it seems as if some of Misfits lessons took hold because when Alice really pisses her off she basically goes in to "kick-ass" mode. But Babs is still concerned about the machine that recently tore-up downtown Metropolis. When Alice, for a brief second, latched on to the perpetrators powers, she had a Platinum Flats Hard Drives jersey on. That's a recent expansion hockey team. So that's where they're headed next. I really like the Manhunter character, but I'm glad that she's not a permanent fixture. I like the idea of having "on-call" agents to help when necessary. Like I said, I've been a fan of this book since it's inception, and right now . . . I think it's in a really good place.

No comments:

Post a Comment