Saturday, April 26, 2008

the Trials of SHAZAM! #12 - DC


This was a fantastic ending to a great story. Judd Winick did a great job on this one. It took about 19 months to publish these 12 issues, but . . . that's ok. I don't think it really had anything to do with the creators, I believe it was more of an Editorial decision because of how the SHAZAM! character plays in to the whole Countdown, 52 and Final Crisis thing. I think it was all part of keeping the continuity straight. At least, that's my guess. Howard Porter started out as the artist of this series. He did the first 6 issues. And if you know me, you know I'm a big Howard fan. I was sad to see him go. But then Mauro Cascioli came on board for the final 6 issues. At first I wasn't sure, but I have to say this guy is a huge talent. He's not perfect. But . . he's close to it. He draws a pretty sinister looking Merlin this issue. I don't want to give away to much of the story, because really . . . you should read it. It really was a great series. There's a really big surprise twist that involves Zareb also. You'll just have to get it to find out what that is. In the end, as we all knew, Freddy does indeed become SHAZAM! And . . he earns it. Freddy started out with little or no power at the beginning of this series, and he clawed and kicked for everything he got. Absolutely nothing was handed to him. Oh yeah, you'll also have to read it to find out what happened to Sabina. On the final page this story is billed as . . . "The End . . . of the Beginning!" Freddy, I believe, has just become a huge part of the DC Universe. I can't wait to see where it all goes from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment