Monday, April 14, 2008

the New Avengers #39 - Marvel

Overall, I really liked this book. I had one complaint, and really . . . it's just because of my own stubborness. I refuse to pick up the Secret Invasion books. I'm just tired of these mega-crossovers, and I don't want to get wrapped up in another one. If it falls in to one of the regular titles I pick up . . . then fine. But, the problem is . . . and like I said, really, it's my own problem . . . is that I probably don't get the whole spectrum or experience of the story. Which, while the story is going on, could be confusing, but . . as I've seen in the past, especially with these Marvel mega-events . . . as long as you read the beginning, and the end, and have some exposure to the flavor in the middle . . . you can usually piece together what's happened, and I don't have to spend all that money. Maybe that's the cheap way to go about it, but hey, you have to have a budget somewhere. Or at least the appearance of one. Anyways, this book, the Skrulls make a play for Maya. It looks as if they want to take her out and replace her. They do this by posing as Matt Murdock, when she needs somebody to talk to. Luckily, Wolverine was following her . . supposedly to keep an eye on her . . and ends up pulling her fat out of the fire. She actually appears to be holding her own, but, I think, in the end the Skrull would've overpowered her. When it knows it's defeated, it just takes off. Leaving Maya and Logan with more questions than answers. In the final pages, Maya and Clint talk about his feelings for her. I believe there's a romance brewing her, because then they spend the night together. As usual, Brian Bendis does the story. I'm glad there wasn't so much inner dialogue this issue. It gets distracting. David Mack does the art. Of course you know he's awesome. I'm not exactly sure how he ended up doing this book, but . . I'm glad he did. A fantastic addition to the already over-burgeoning Avengers library.

No comments:

Post a Comment