Thursday, April 10, 2008

Superman Confidential #13 - DC


I kind of put off reading this issue, mainly because I wasn't to overly thrilled with the last one. This issue's creative talent includes B Clay Moore on scripts, and Phil Hester's pencils. I really think, what I don't like about this book is that it seems like one of those, much simpler, stories for the Superman books of the 70's. Which really is about the time that this story takes place because this is Supe's first meeting with the Toyman, Winslow Schott. We also have a take on "the boy who cried wolf" storyline here. Superman gave Jimmy his signal watch last issue, and since then, he's been really annoying the big blue boy-scout. And of course, after he's done that is when he gets himself in a real predicament. The Toyman has recently terrorized downtown Metropolis with some rather large toys. Nobody seems to know who or where they came from. But Jimmy's noticed that there's something familiar about them. He read a story recently where a bank was robbed by, what they thought, were 2 men dressed up in toy soldier outfits. So Jimmy starts contacting toy manufacturers trying to get information. This eventually leads him to the point where he's knocking, unknowingly, on Winslow Schott's door. As soon as Jimmy enters, he takes him captive, and being the meticulous craftsman that he is, notices that there's something different about the watch on the young man's arm. Now Jimmy really is in trouble, but he can't get to his watch because the Toyman is about to cut off his arm to obtain it for himself. Like I said, pretty simple story actually. I actually enjoyed Hester and Parks artwork when they did the beginning of the Green Arrow series. But for some reason . . . I'm just not that in to it on this book. Personal taste, I guess. Anyways, hopefully this story will be over next issue so we can move on to something else. I'm sorry. I just didn't' . . dig it.

No comments:

Post a Comment