Thursday, April 10, 2008

X-Factor #29 - Marvel


First, a personal complaint about this book. Valentine De Landro does the pencils on this issue. While I don't really have a complaint about him, or his style, my complaint is that out of 29 issues so far, this is about the 10th or 11th artist on this series. I'm just having a hard time understanding that logic. It's really not that big of a deal . . but, it does bother me. And I just wanted to get that out of my system. This issue, I thought, was fantastic. I've criticized some of Peter David's work in the past, but either he really loves these characters, or he's just much more adept at team books, but . . I think his recent run here has been fantastic. The drama and turmoil that he's put this team through, has really been gripping. And I especially liked the scene in this issue where Theresa is trying to tell Jamie about her pregnancy. At the time they're both mentally coming from two different places, and they completely misunderstand each other. Monet's response to their actions is hilarious. "This seemed vaguely familiar to me. Hold on . . . the way you two were talking . . . it's so familiar . . . got it. Three's Company. It was like an episode of Three's Company. Most episodes centered around two people having a massive misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided." That's actually what's going on with the whole team right now. Rahne has just left, for personal reasons, to join X-Force. If you read that book, you know what those reasons are. But, the rest of the team doesn't. She tries to explain to Rictor, but he just throws her note away and says, "Whatever!" If they don't start getting on the same page, this team will fall apart. But all you have to do is insert a protagonist, put one of the team-members in jeopardy, and next thing you know . . ta da . . . we're back to a cohesive unit with a common goal. Essentially that's what happened this issue. Rictor, after feeling like he's lost Rahne, is ready to take off and quit hanging out with the mutants. But, unfortunately, every time he tries to leave, ". . . they keep pulling me back in . . ." Eventually he ends up strapped to an inverted cross with a razor sharp pendulum swinging at his manhood. The villain that's after the team-members? Arcade! I really didn't see that one coming. But now that he's captured Rictor, they have a common threat and they'll be back to the dysfunctional team we all know and love in no time. Valentine's art was actually . . ok. That's not really the problem. I was just trying to make a point. But overall I enjoyed this issue, and this is really one of the only X-teams still intact. I wonder how long they'll stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment