Sunday, April 27, 2008

Number of the Beast #1 - WildStorm


I'm not really sure what's going on here . . but . . there seems to be a plethora of new heroes and villains all over the place. They make reference to SkyWatch and the Authority, but . . we don't really see anyone here. In the beginning we're in some kind of science station where they appear to be keeping lots of . . subjects. In fact, in the very beginning they're dumping a vat of someone . . apparently he had an accident and they had to scrape up what was left of whomever this is . . they joke that he's a human smoothie . . they dump him into some kind of containment tube, which, I guess, puts him in the system with the rest of whomever they're holding. Does that make sense? Not to me either. Yet! Also, apparently, the program started with 666 subjects. The guys loading him/it into the system are worried that they're going to have to change the insignia. We then watch the adventures of all these villains and heroes sporting around town, whom we've never heard of. So my guess is . . they're all in some kind of shared hallucination, or dream, or something. I think all these bodies, in these stasis chambers, or whatever, are all connected and living out their lives in some dream like world. My next guess is, this human smoothie, who was just added to the mix, is going to change everything. Obviously his addition shakes up the status-quo. Anyways, that's my assumptions from the first issue. After reading Armageddon and Revelations, I'm guessing that these are the missing generation of heroes. They're probably being kept in the dream-like state so they don't rebel, or fight they're capture. But, it's only the first issue, so all of this is just pure conjecture. I have to say, Scott Beatty has put together quite a story if it gets my mind going this much. I also enjoyed the artwork of Chris Sprouse and Karl Story. This is the very beginning to what could be a very interesting series. And maybe . . the end of the WildStorm Universe? We'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment