Monday, April 14, 2008

Wolverine - First Class #1 - Marvel


Really, my only complaint about this book is that I expected it to have more of the same type of feel to it as the X-Men First Class book. It didn't . . but . . it has a different creative team, and after reading it, I think, a different perspective on the time in the lives of the X-Men that these adventures take place. It's written by Fred Van Lente, with art by Andrea Di Vito. I'm not really familiar with either of these creators, but . . they definitely did the book justice. Basically, it is, kind of, like the X-Men First Class title. But, you have to remember, this story actually takes place later in the story of the X-Men . . . than that other book does. By the time this story takes place, Ororo, Peter, Logan, Kurt and Kitty are all on the team. So the dynamics are obviously going to be different than the original team of X-Men. And really Logan doesn't play to big a part in this story, other than Kitty's inner-dialogue about his reputation, and what she expects from his actions. Basically, this story is about Kitty's first real interaction with Logan, and the first time that Charles teamed them up together. They both learn that the other has more depth of character than either saw on the surface. And they become friends. I'm not sure if this one is aimed at the younger audience, or not. It seems so . . but the story is more intricate than the other First Class title. But . . I liked it. It'll be interesting to see where this title goes. Are they going to focus on Wolverine, or just his interactions with the others around him? Will all the characters be different, or the same, every issue . . except for him? When I understand the direction of the book more, I think I'll enjoy the stories better. But, in the meantime, it's a welcome addition to my X-Men library.

No comments:

Post a Comment