Friday, April 18, 2008

Green Lantern #29 - DC


This is another book that, honestly, just keeps getting better and better. I mean, when they billed this issue as Green Lantern - Secret Origin, I thought how many times can we see a variation of Hal Jordan's origin? But you know what? Geoff Johns truly brought something different to this telling of it. And of course I can't say enough about Ivan Reis' art. It is truly incredible. I've liked this guy from the minute he came on this series. I actually liked him way back when he did Lady Death. But, he's actually gotten better since he's come to this book. I don't know how. I already thought he was a hugely underrated talent. But now? Forgedaboutit! After reading this issue, all I can say is . . . WOW! And that's a lot, considering the story-line that we just came out of. I don't want to give the story away, because I think it's good enough that everybody should get it. But, we start way back when Hal was just a kid. We see his mom and brothers as we've never seen them before. We even get a look at a very young Carol Ferris. Hal's story progress' through the years, and this issue ends about the time of his mother's death. However, what I was really surprised about was that they included some of Abin Sur's history . . . leading up to his crash landing on Earth. Do you know what he was investigating in his final mission? He was asking questions about the Prophecies, and in particular about . . . the Blackest Night. Even way back then . . it all ties together. There's been 2 constants with this incarnation so far. First, all 29 issues have been incredible. Second, each issue, and story-line, has been better than the one preceeding it. Not many books can say that. This one . . . has been a rock. If you aren't getting this . . you need to. And now's the perfect time to pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment