Monday, April 30, 2007

PainkillerJane - Episode 3 - Piece of Mind - SciFi Channel


Overall, a very boring episode. This time we have a "neuro" that can take, give, or transfer knowledge. He probably would've been resigned to the shadows, and never caught, except he has a rare disease that only 1 doctor in the world has the expertise to treat. A little implausible there. But anyways, so he seeks out that doctor and takes his knowledge. Then, whenever he has an episode, he can transfer the knowledge into his care-giver, and take it back when he's treated. Talk about having your own on-call doctor. Well this arrangement is ultimately what gets him caught. Well, that and his over-zealousness in retrieving a painting that his family had when he was a child. In order to get it, he has to hijack Jane's team into doing his biding. And in order to do that, he has to swipe the resident computer geeks knowledge and hold it ransom. In case your wondering, no I don't know any of the characters names. For some reason I find that I do that when I'm bored with a story. It's almost as if I know they won't be around long enough for me to care about, so I don't bother trying to remember. Now the show "Bones", I could name every character in that series. But this one, I seem to be having a hard time getting a hold of. Anyways, of course they steal the painting. Jane does one death defying trick, electrocutes herself on a transformer. And the geek is returned his knowledge. The only real defining moment of the whole episode is when we find out at the end, that the "chip" that Jane put into his neck was a "dud". And that she did it on purpose. One because she identified with the guy. Being different and all. And two because she's starting to question the motives of her team. Or maybe it's of the people who control her team. Anyways, it's a moment of doubt that I'm sure will be expounded upon in future episodes. If they're able. And by that I mean, if there is future episodes. I really think that in order for this series to work, it needs to be revamped. It needs to stay truer to the comic. And not just because I'm a comic aficionado, but because those stories worked. The dynamic of her character in the comic stories was much more interesting than this one. I've said this a couple of times, but I really think the identity and uniqueness of her character is being diluted in this format and it's really hurting the story. But that's just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment