Friday, April 20, 2007

Wonder Woman #5 - DC


This one is actually a very moving book. Steel has order Diana to investigate the Athenian Women's Help Shelter. They're still looking for Wonder Woman, so they're basically grasping at straws. They're starting to look in areas that have even the remotest ties to her. Steel doesn't really believe that she's tied to them, but he's hoping that by investigating maybe they can draw her out. Which, unfortunately, is what happens. Basically we get these women's accounts of how they were in abusive relationships. They were down-trodden, beaten and in a place with no hope. But then, however they saw her, they saw Wonder Woman, a strong vibrant female figure, and decided that their circumstances were no longer acceptable. Or as one woman put it, " . . when I saw her, I knew that I could do something. I might not be able to lift a semi off a Honda . . . but I could sure as hell lift myself up off that floor . . " So Diana goes down to investigate, for the Dept. of Metahuman Affairs, and finds that just her image has been giving all these women hope. As she talking to the lady running the shelter, a call comes in. It's a women in the process of being beaten, and she's called for help. Diana decides to take some direct action with this one. So she goes, over powers the guy, and flies the woman to the shelter. The woman is relieved and thankful. The guy is confessing to all kinds of stuff so he can stay in jail. It looks like a happy ending for all the women, but when the police, with his lawyer, go to lock the guy up, they find the interrogation room covered from ceiling to floor with pieces of him. I'm not sure where this story will go from here. Next issue we get a new writer. Drew Johnson will be filling in on pencils for a couple issues. I like Drew, but I hope he's not here for long, because I really like Terry Dodson's Wonder Woman. I know he doesn't stick around on series for long, but I hope we can get a couple more out of him. His covers are fantastic. I really like this series. I don't understand why they had to start it over, just to switch creators . . . but . . . whatever. As long as it's back, and thriving, I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment