Friday, April 20, 2007

Civil War - the Initiative - #1 - Marvel


I really liked this book. Actually no one is more surprised by that, than me. But I think what I liked is that were finally seeing some action and momentum. And by that, I mean that what I complained about during the Civil War, that some of the books were grinding to a halt because everybody's time-line was being predicated by what happened in the Civil War. But, nothing was to be given away ahead of time. So all the books could only have vague references because nothing could happen there, until it happened in the main book. I don't think that worked out to well for them. Anyways, now we're seeing some movement. Tony is now the head of SHIELD, so he basically is every super-powered individual, in the whole world, boss. So, as a boss, he's heading up a few different projects. The first of which is to put together a new Canadian super team. This one is called Omega Flight. Next he is overseeing the Thunderbolts. This group is comprised of villains and murderers. There task is to bring in unregistered supers. Apparently they're allowed to use any force necessary, short of permanent damage. And he's also getting started on putting together a new Avengers team. His talk with Carol Danvers, about her confrontation with Jessica Drew, is what really got him thinking about it. Jarvis puts it best, "Sir, the world needs the Avengers. You, Sir, if I may, need the Avengers. And with all the heroes in the world no working for you . . . it seems to me that you get to cherry-pick the very best team of Avengers the world has ever seen." Very nice story by Brian Bendis, Warren Ellis and Marc Silvestri. In the back of the book, we also get a preview of some of the new books, or just creative teams, coming out of this whole process. We get previews of Iron Man:Director of SHIELD, the Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Omega Flight and Avengers the Initiative. Like I said, overall a very nice and informative book. And obviously the next step in the Civil War aftermath. Actually, I'm really looking forward to reading the Mighty Avengers.

No comments:

Post a Comment