Sunday, April 29, 2007

Hellblazer #230 - Vertigo


I read Hellblazer every month. But, month in and month out, I'm hoping that it's going to get better. I started with this book, right from the very beginning. No not with #1. With Swamp Thing. That's where it really all started. When he did get his own book, it was great. But, then I got to a time where I needed to cut back a bit, and unfortunately this was one of the books to go. Then, I think it was in the early #140's, there was a storyline where John was in prison. I picked it up, read it, and it was fantastic. I've been reading it ever since. Although, there have been times in between, where I seriously thought about letting it go again. I liked the stories, but they really weren't holding my interest. Well, this issue, Andy Diggle takes over on the writing. And right out of the gate, I can just tell he's going to bring something special to this book. We start out with a fantastic cover by Lee Bermejo. And Leonardo Manco is back on the pencils for the interiors. And I don't know if it's Andy's writing, but Leonardo seems to be putting a lot more effort in to his work, than he has in a while. Every page was awesome. And some pages were close to perfection. If this is the path that they're traveling now, then they're finally on the right one. Fantastic job from everyone involved in this issue. I mean, right from the very first word, this issue rocked. "I used to be a player. Funny how quick it can all go up the Swanee, ennit? I mean, my name used to stand for something around here, people respected me . . . or at least they were wary enough to fake it. Nowadays? I'm just the bloke who cleans up other people's mess . . . I'm the fucking plumber."

No comments:

Post a Comment