Saturday, April 14, 2007

PainkillerJane - Pilot Episode - SciFi Channel


I watched this new show last night. Of course I had to. It was adapted off a comic book. I'm nothing if not a purist. Anyways, I watched it . . . and it was ok. I didn't think it was stellar. I thought some of the acting was a bit cheesy. But . . . if I just put myself in to the story, and got absorbed by that, instead of the peripherals, it was enjoyable. I know that this was the first episode, so they had to do a lot of storytelling, to get the people that don't read the books up to speed. So . . . that was a little drawn out. But, again, I thought it was a decent adaptation. There were some liberties taken, obviously, such as her working for this clandestine government organization. In the books, she pretty much operates solo. Other than her friend, and her doctor. But people like ensemble shows, so much better. And, in the show, her getting kicked out of a 46th story window, is her first experience with her "power". The problem I have is that after a while, all the Law & Orders, CSI's, Criminal Minds, etc., all start to blend together. There has to be some kind of unique twist to set them apart. This one has that. However, I don't think that they fully exploited it in the first episode. I'm sure they'll use it more as time goes by. Also, we have to get to know, and to love the characters. I didn't get much of that in the first episode. The best ones I see, so far, are Jane, obviously, her partner Mon, from the DEA, not life-partner, and McBride, the guy who runs their little faction of underground politics. Also, the mandate of this group, is to seek out and subdue "neruos". These are people that have some kind of DNA abnormality, that allows them to control others through neuro powers. This should offer a unique set of characters for them to deal with each week. But again, it's another liberty taken from the books. I have high hopes for this show, but, I don't see it lasting long, unless they do something to draw the viewers in to the characters. But again, this was only the first episode. So . . . . we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment