Saturday, April 28, 2007

Spider-man : Reign #4 - Marvel


Ok, we finally finished up this series. I'm on the fence about this. On one hand I liked the story. I liked all the little things that popped up in the story, that could be natural extensions of the Marvel Universe. Or they could just be the mad rantings of the constructor of this story. But on the other hand, I'm upset, that this seems to be a newer, updated , reworked telling of the story that we read almost 20 years ago, Dark Knight. It has the same premise. It's similar in that it's set in the future. And even the artwork has similar tendencies. And when something is that blatantly ripped off, it just angers me. Yes the heroes are different, yes the villains are different, and yes the ultimate obstacle, or antagonist in this story is different, but it follows the same basic time-line and flow. I don't know if I'm making sense. If you've read Dark Knight, or grew up with it as I have, you'll get the gist of what I'm saying. If you didn't, then you won't. And if this is a homage to that great story, then fine. Give it a nod and be done with it. But to pass it off as an original story. That just disturbs my sensibilities. But, yes I liked the story. And yes Spider-man is one of my favorite characters. But my view of this book, and series, is forever going to be tainted. And you'd be hard pressed to convince me otherwise. But . . . like I said . . . I did like the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment