Sunday, May 06, 2007

Deathblow #4 - WildStorm


Is that a cool cover, or what? Brian Azzarello writes this book, so you know that it's going to have long, thought out story-lines. That's his forte. But I like it because you don't learn to much to quick, and the anticipation builds. I also like Carlos D'anda's pencils. He has his own unique style, and it definitely fits this book. Now this issue, Henry Flint does the pencils. I really like Henry's style when he's on pencils. And I think that him and Carlos blend well with Henry's inks. My only criticism, and it's just my personal point of view, is that both their styles are so unique, and so far apart from each other, that I think Henry's inks overpower Carlos' pencils. Don't get me wrong, they look good together. But, I think some of Carlos' style is lost in the interpretation. You see more of Henry's sharp edges coming through. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if we're going to lean more towards Henry's style, then why not just have him as the penciller? Just an observation. Anyways nice book. We see some more of Deathblow's extra-curricular activities. And his handlers are getting closer to figuring out what's going on. We find out that the kids that were posing as his kids, have a toy-box full of automatic weapons in their room. The best line of the book though is when the woman that's posing as his wife is dressed in this skimpy little maids outfit. She's basically throwing herself at him, while he's watching TV, but he's not responding. He knocks her out of the way, and she crawls back and has her self positioned on her knees between his legs. As she wraps her arms around his legs, she looks up at him and says, "Daddy . . . are you gay?" To which he responds, "No. I have a bet on this game." That's fantastic. I love Brian's style, and I love the feel that he's giving this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment