Sunday, May 20, 2007

Avengers - the Initiative #1 - Marvel






They're just gonna force me to by 2 cover to this book, aren't they? When it came out, I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to the pile, so I just bought the right side of the picture. But, since I'm a completest, and a sucker for these multiple covers, I guess I'll have to look it up the next time I'm at the shop. At least I won't have to pay $10 for this one. I hope! Anyways this one is about the Avengers, but it's really not. Tony, through the registration act, has set up as one of the initiatives, hence the name, to set up a sanctioned group of heroes in each state. A group of heroes that answers to the government and to Tony Stark. So now they have the task of going around and gathering up every new meta they can find, and basically recruit them in to SHIELDS branch of the Government. I say recruit, but, they really don't have a choice. As homage to the tragedy that happened, they're using Camp Hammond in Stamford Connecticut. Plus I think they want to use the proximity of the tragedy to help boost the players patriotism. Basically, they're bringing them all here to train, and once that training is complete, they will be picking a state and a team for them to work with. Probably coordinating powers and all that too. Anyways, they have their first tragedy on the first day. MVP, basically a Captain America Jr., is shot through the head. But the scientists discover something when they do the autopsy. Unfortunately they won't be sharing that discovery with us this issue. So it's been a very eventful first day for our Jr. Avengers. Maybe. I'm not sure what they'll actually be called. I bet they bring out every old team-name that been in the Marvel mythos for the past 50 years that isn't being used right now. Nostalgia, and all that you know. Would I lie to you? So I like what Dan Slott's done with the story so far. I'm interested to see how he's going to coordinate all these characters. Obviously we can't pay attention to all of them. So I want to see how it all melts down. Stefano Caselli is the artist. It's ok. I'll give it a couple of issues to see how I get used to it. Overall though, a very nice book.