Saturday, May 26, 2007

Hellblazer #231 - Vertigo


Leonardo Manco has been on and off this book as the artist for quite a while now. But I gotta say, the stuff he put in this particular issue, looks pretty good. I'm not exactly sure what he's doing different, but I like it. And look at that Lee Bermejo cover. Is that just brilliant, or what? Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Andy Diggle, the writer is bringing new life back to this book. John is back to his old shifty underhanded ways, this issue and last. Basically, an old friend of his has asked for his help. He's a gangster, and he's in jail, but that doesn't leave him without power or influence. He's asked John to help his daughter move on. This guy got close to her, to get close to her dad, and then when he didn't need her anymore, " . . . snuffed her out like a candle. Like a fuckin' candle . . ." Well for some reason his daughter's stuck her, so he wants John to help her move on. John knows it's because she wants revenge for her death. Which is what lead us to this watery death trap. Webb, her boyfriend, has John tied to a pylon, waiting for the tide to come in. So John invokes her spirit to scare him, and to help her get revenge, but instead he shoots himself in the head. And without the revenge she can't move on. So he opens a gate for her, but because of how she lived her life, she ends up in hell. But the real reason all this happens is because of what the father offers John as payment. "You do this thing for me an' I promise you anythin' . . anythin' at all . . . if it's within my power, it's yours for the askin'." So we're not sure what John asked for, but on the last page he heads off to collect. "Job done. It's time to collect. I used to be a player. And I'm done with being played. It's time to get back in the game . . . . and break the fucking bank." This is the John Constantine that we all loved in the beginning. And I'm glad to see he's back.

No comments:

Post a Comment