Monday, May 28, 2007

Heroes for Hire #9 - Marvel


I have to admit this issue was a little better than the last few. We have a new writer on board now, Zeb Wells. Never heard of him myself, but he seems to be trying some new stuff, and going in a little different direction with the team. Also Clay Mann is the penciller this issue. Again, someone I've never heard of, but he's got some style. It's not the best stuff I've ever seen, but it shows a lot of potential. There's some frames in here that I really like the feel of, but it's not consistent. I assume that he's relatively new and just needs some more experience. But like I said he does show a lot of potential. This issue our team has been hired by Palladin to take on a job in the Savage Land. They're looking for Devil Dinosaur and Moon Boy. Actually their specific instructions are to apprehend Moon Boy, but they'll take the Dinosaur too, should that option become available to them. Of course things never go as easy as they planned, and they soon find out the the Savage Land is a whole 'nother world than what they're used to. Literally! I like the interactions that Zeb scripts between these characters. They seem natural and consistent with their personalities. And I like the way that they each seem to have to adapt to this new environment that's been forced upon them. Of course some of their adaptations are out of necessity. And it seems like the Savage Land has brought out the savage lust of Shang-Chi and Tarantula. But then it could just be the adrenaline or the wild surroundings that they're in. The cover, I think, is a little weak. But overall I'd have to say this is the best issue in the last 5 or 6. Maybe I can look forward to reading this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment