Monday, February 16, 2009

X-Force #11 - Marvel


Ok! I'm back. Sorry for the little hiatus there. I just spent the last 8 days in sunny Florida. For being the place where dreams come true . . . it certainly wasn't a very relaxing vacation. I have every intention of getting caught back up this week but . . . since my plane came in about 10pm last night, and I had to be up and to work at 5 this morning . . . this might not necessarily be the day for it. I'll try to knock out a couple of books . . . before I completely keel over from exhaustion . . but, I'm not sure how far I'll get. This book I actually read before I left. "Who the hell is Eli Bard?". Actually, the title should read "Who the hell cares?". Sorry. I didn't mean that. Just a little post-vacation frustration there. I actually think that's a diagnosed medical ailment . . . . PMS. Sorry . . I forgot to use my inside voice there. Anyways, this actually wasn't a bad book. Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost wrote it . . as they have been, and Clayton Crain is back on the pencils. At least for the story that was in current times. When we go back to find out about this Eli Bard fellow . . . Alina Urosov does the art. It actually looks pretty decent also. Not nearly as eye-popping as Clayton's, but . . . we learn that this guy was cursed, basically, by Seline about 2 thousand years ago. He's some kind of vampire type creature now. During Roman times she helped him aspire to greatness, but . . . then he fell out of favor. So, in the time between, he's been trying to regain her favor, but . . . he realizes that he has to make a grand gesture or she'll just damn him for eternity. And now . . he's finally found it. It was Eli who had awoken the Spirit Bear that James fought last issue. It appears when I said he was vampire 'like' . . he is, but . . . he can raise the dead and control them. He started with Warpath's tribe, which included his brother. But then it appears that he came across Caliban. So when he approaches Selene . . . "My Queen . . you misunderstand. They are not my offering . . . this is a dead mutant called Caliban. In life he could track any mutant on the planet. But in death, he can find all those lost to the world. Once found, I will resurrect those mutants just as I did this Apache and his tribe. It is those mutants . . their power . . and their souls . . that I offer you." This looks to be an interesting story, and the beginning of what looks to be a lot of trouble for the X-Men. But the reason I'm not thrilled about this book is because of something I've discussed before . . retroactive continuity. I know everybody is using it. But it just pisses me off sometimes. So now we're just supposed to accept that this guy has been fudging about in the background for the last 2000 years and that's why now he going to become a major threat? I don't know . . to me it just seems like an easy way out. A quick fix . . if you will. Like I said, overall I liked the book . . I just don't agree with this method of story-telling. Maybe it's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment