Monday, February 16, 2009

Avengers: the Initiative #21 - Marvel


I have mixed feelings about this issue. My primary enjoyment of this issue was Humberto Ramos' art. It was great to see him here, especially on the opening splash page where the Thor robot looks like it's emerging from the pool of life. It looks like it's covered in blood, or placenta . . or something. Christos Gage also did an interesting job with this story. Anyways, the Initiative is in the midst of being decommissioned when Baron Von Blitzschlag bring the abomination back on-line. I'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish, but . . it does get a lot of the members that were getting ready to leave involved . . . primarily Thor-girl, Trauma and Gorilla Girl. Although none of them are very successful. However on the final page of the issue we see the reintroduction of . . . the New Warriors. We also get a glimpse of the Shadow Initiative going after Komodo's ex-boyfriend in Madipoor. But, it's just a 2 page thing so . . . we really don't get a lot of information. Other than Taskmaster quizzing Mutant Zero about her Typhoid Mary identity. I think this'll be an interesting story-line, but . . I'm not sure where it's going to pan out. So far this book is listed up until #24. But, I'm not quite sure yet if that's the final issue or not. I really hope . . not! I've enjoyed this series. I like the characters, and the premise. It would be a shame for Marvel to just discard it and issue a bunch of new team books. However, I really think that there will be a new New Warriors book, and . . . maybe, a Shadow Initiative title? There's obviously going to be something, I just don't know how it's going to pan out yet. So . . I guess my main concern about this title is it's future. It seems kind of up in the air to me. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the future holds and enjoy the issues that we have left.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I think it was that rotten Skrull Pym who put the Thor clone back online, in the event of his death. I also feel that Christos will probably get a New Warriors comic after this series ends, which hopefully won't be anytime in the near future! I really love this comic and the characters Dan Slott has created here. Hopefully, if this series does get canned, Dan can find ways to bring some of these great characters over to Mighty Avengers.

    ReplyDelete