Sunday, February 08, 2009

Astonishing X-Men #28 - Marvel


This is a little bit complicated, and . . the Ghost Box mini-series really didn't help me at all. Well . . let me take that back. The first issue gave us a lot of information. I thought we were making some progress, but . . the second issue totally lost me. It was an ok book, for what it was . . a couple of future, or alternate universe, stories . . but, to me, it didn't really help to progress the story and or to give us any additional information. So this issue, after going to see the alien space-craft, finding the box, and discovering that there's 2 different types of mutants fighting here . . one's a triploid with 3 strands in their DNA chain and the other seems to be a more 'normal' mutant, but their X gene is on the wrong chromosome . . . the team heads to China to investigate the last location that this mutant left in his notebook. It a 5 mile stretch in the Chinese forest know as Tian and it's completely cloaked from outside eyes. Once there, the X-Men find what used to be a floating city, crashed to the ground. It's on top of another city that's on the ground. From what they can gather, the Chinese mutants used to live here. Apparently they used their mutant powers to completely self-sustain these 2 cities . . including floating the one. Anyways, long story short, they split up and they find 3 separate mutants there. We don't know for sure yet, but I assume that the either the triploids of the mutants from the other universe. The X-Men engage them and they take them down, but in the process they find out that they know who the X-Men are and . . I don't think they mean them any real harm. They're just looking for someone specific that's associated with them. As they take them down, all 3 of them say the same name . . . Forge. I'm just guessing here, but I think either Forge created this little conundrum that the X-Men are being faced with here, or . . at the very least, he did something to aggravate or speed the process along. I think it's great that Warren Ellis is writing this series now. He does a fantastic job of presenting new and original ideas. And with the X-Men . . the sheer number of books multiplied by the overwhelming number of various titles . . sometimes it's hard to find a completely original idea here. Not that I don't enjoy these books and love these characters, but . . sometimes it does seem like some story-lines are recycled. As I'm sure they are in a lot of books. Anyways, my point is that with Warren on board . . we're definitely not going to have that problem. And Simone Bianchi's pencils are absolutely fabulous. Right now, this book looks and feels incredible. Since it's inception this is my favorite X-Men book. I don't see it losing momentum anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment