Saturday, February 21, 2009

Titans #10 - DC


This particular issue left me with mixed feelings. I love this team . . and I love these characters. But, to tell you the truth . . I'm kind of having a hard time feeling sorry for old Joey here. I mean how many times are these guys going to have to be burnt by one of Deathstroke's kids before they finally say that they've had enough. And I know that this isn't actually Joey causing all of this trouble. One of the personalities that he's posessed has exerted an overwhelming amount of influence and, basically, is in control. I don't know. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. As the Origins & Omens part of the book states, this team has gone through a lot. There's been deaths, and trials and tribulations. Members have come and gone as well as relationships. And, in the grand scheme of things, they really are one big dysfunctional family. But then . . we can all say that. The point is, no matter where these characters are in their own individual lives . . they're always there for each other should the need arise. Always! And I guess, basically, that's what they're doing now. For Joey. I guess if a member of my family went rogue . . I'd feel partly responsible, and try to do whatever I could to help. Even if it was against my better judgement. So anyways, the JLA show up. They want to take Joey into custody. But really . . they want to help. They are the Titans mentors after all. But really . . they just kind of get in the way. I think if they hadn't had been there . . the whole thing would've been resolved a lot better. But . . that was probably the point. The issue ends with Joey wisping away . . who knows where. And Dick announcing that as much as he love this family . . he has 2. And right now . . the other family needs him more. So he has to go there. And again Scab has dire warnings for this team . . . "Dark days are coming for these youths, who have taken the mantle of the gods of old. And like those old gods, their lives will crumble beneath the strain of tomorrow . . . and their family will be torn asunder." I think this book still has a great future. I just hate to see Dick go. On a brighter note, I still think that Judd Winick does a great job with these team books. And . . I'm very happy to see the Howard Porter has found a new home as the resident artist. I think this guy is a lot better than he gets credit for. I'm interested though to see where the team goes from here.

3 comments:

  1. I'm actually glad that Judd seems to be at least attempting to give a reason for Jericho's recent evil actions, besides the tired, old, "he's Deathstroke's son, what do you expect" angle. I still hate the fact that Jericho is a villain though... I still remember reading about nice, innocent Jericho from those New Teen Titans/New Titans comics from the mid 1980's-mid 1990's. I miss that Jericho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but you know that they always have to throw someone to the wolves. Then, when and if they straighten him out, we'll all just love him that much more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you're right about that. Just look at Raven. I think she must hold the record for the number of times she's betrayed/turned on her teammates! If the Titans keep forgiving her, they'll forgive anyone!

    ReplyDelete