Thursday, February 19, 2009

Terror Titans #5 & #6 - DC

Well . . I'm gonna go ahead and do issue #6 along with issue #5 here. I'm behind and . . . I just picked up #6 this week so . . I couldn't wait to read it. Especially when I got done with #5. I wasn't to sure about this series when it first started. Sure I'm a huge Teen Titans fan, and this basically is a appendage of that title, but . . it's also, really, a Ravager solo book. But a couple of things came together for me pretty quick with this title. First, I found out that I liked the Ravager character a lot more than I ever admitted. Maybe it was the conflict she created with the Titans, or maybe it was just her swinging back and forth between good and evil, but with this series we've learned more about her. And I gotta say, she's a pretty hot ass-kickin' fem-fatale. Secondly, again with this story, I think the Clock King has gone from being this joke of a villain to possibly becoming a major player in the DC Universe. His only down-fall? He seems to have a major jones for Rose. You know that larceny and romance never mix. Anyways, in issue 5 it looks as if the Clock Kings plans are finally going to come to fruition. He's trained his Terror Titans as best he, and Rose, could . . and they all seem to have passed the trials that he's put out before them. Also, it seems that all of the teen-agers from the Dark-Side Club have finally reached their programming potential. CK plans on using them, basically, as the Terror Titans foot-soldiers . . their infantry. He's even calling them 'the Martyr Militia'. The only thing I didn't like about this issue is what Copperhead does to Teena. He helps her heal, gives her hope, and then when he helps her escape? . . well, that part isn't really explained. He does something to her. It changes her. And it looks quite painful. But, we don't know the specifics, or the fate of this character. Is this something the Teen Titans will have to handle in the future? We're just not sure. It just seemed an incredible waste for Copperhead to spend all that time and effort on her just to betray her in the end. But, I'm sure we haven't seen the last of that story. Anyways, issue #5 ends with Rose escaping from CK's tower and the Persuader ready to snap her neck. In issue #6 we finally learn CK's plans. As simple as it sounds, he wants to spread chaos around the greater Los Angeles area. That's what the Martyr Militia was created for. But we find out that all of these kids aren't actually under CK's control any more. It turns out the M'Gann, Miss Martian, was actually posing as the Star-Spangled Kid. She wanted to stay undercover so that she could use her powers to switch off the control that the Dark-Side Club had exerted over them. And with that, they and Rose pretty easily put a stop to CK's plans. The Terror Titans escape, retreating to CK's 'house'. But he's not really happy with their little excursion. Especially Angelica, Disruptor. He ends up frying her to a crisp. Long story short, Rose and the kids attack CK's strong-hold, defeat the Terror Titans and Rose beats CK to within an inch of his life. Of course he escapes, and is turned on by this resounding defeat. Also Statix shows up and takes out the rest of the members of the Dark-Side Club. In the end though, Dreadbolt, Copperhead and the Persuader escape their incarceration and vow their revenge on CK for what he's put them through. I know these are the bad guys, but . . in the end you almost start to feel sorry for them . . I sympathized with them a bit. I thought that Sean McKeever and Joe Bennett did a fantastic job with this series. Like I said, I think the Clock King has become a major player. Although I don't really like him any better. Dreadbolt, Copperhead and the Persuader have become a team that I'm sure will be a thorn in the Titans side in the future. And . . . with all these teen-agers being dumped in the Titans backyard . . there's a lot of prospects for New Titans. Especially now when their core group is so shallow. Also it was nice to see M'Gann again and get an idea as to why we haven't seen that much of her lately. Maybe she's back for good now? Overall I thought this series was a great success and I can't wait to see how it affects the Titans in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment