Sunday, February 08, 2009

X-Factor #39 - Marvel


This issue wasn't at all what I expected. Jamie and Theresa finally have their baby. Theresa even proposes to him. And Jamie says yes. So, Theresa goes through all the trauma of child-birth. She has the baby, and she's restfully recuperating in a recovery room. Meanwhile, Jamie goes to Val's room to get a little off of his chest. Finally, he returns to Theresa's room, and everybody is there wooing over the baby. It's a boy and they're all thrilled to death. The first question that pops into my head is . . why can they have a baby when no other mutant babies are being born on Earth? Obviously there's is going to be a mutant because they both are. And, why isn't such a big deal being made over this one when, basically, the whole world stood up and took notice when that little red-haired girl was born in Alaska? You know, Hope. The one Cable took into the future. If that one was such a big deal, why was this one not? It doesn't take long for us to get our answer. As Jamie's holding him, and they've decided to call him Sean, after Theresa's father . . . Jamie begins to absorb him. He tries desperately not to, but he can't stop the process once it's started. "Terry, I'm . . I am so sorry. Remember, I was pretty drunk the night the baby was conceived, and I was never clear on what happened. I think . . . I think it was a dupe who fathered the baby, and . . and apparently . . the offspring of a dupe isn't really anything more than a . . ." Terry reaches out for his hand and . . . breaks his fingers. "Next time I see you . . it'll be your neck." That's not at all what I was expecting to happen. I absolutely love what Peter David did with this issue. And with this little incident . . the future of the team, and everything really, is all just thrown up in the air. Really, it was a great issue. I have no idea what'll happen next. Also . . Valentine DeLandro did a good job with the pencils. The emotions in this issue were like a roller-coaster. I can't wait for the next issue.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, this issue totally took me by surprise as well! Peter David threw us one heck of a curve ball here. Like you stated towards the end of your review, this issue really threw this entire series up in the air. Peter has left himself SO many directions he can take this situation. This one issue has really pushed X-Factor towards the top of my monthly read list. I can't wait to see what happens here next!

    ReplyDelete