Saturday, February 21, 2009

R.E.B.E.L.S. #1 & #2 - DC

I hope I like this series. I hope it's like the old one. I collected all the various L.E.G.I.O.N. titles, which then transformed over into R.E.B.E.L.S.. They were decent. I started with them mostly for the possibility of seeing some of my favorite outer-space characters, the Omega Men. I also liked the ability to see one of Brainiac 5's fore-bearers, Vril Dox . . Brainiac 2. Even though he is a bit of an arrogant dick. However, I am a huge Legion fan after all. So anything even remotely connected . . . I'm all over it. Creatively this title looks pretty strong. Tony Bedard is writing it, and Andy Clarke is on the pencils. We start out in issue #1 with Vril coming to Earth. He's trying to escape a group of bounty hunters that are trying to collect the price on his head. It appears that Vril's living computer, Silica, has taken over the L.E.G.I.O.N.. She's claimed reign over all of the world's that L.E.G.I.O.N. has contracts with, has put a price of Vril's head, and has banned all space-travel. Luckily what's left of the Omega Men aren't ones for following the rules. From what I see in these first 2 issue, it appears to me that Vril will be creating R.E.B.E.L.S. to fight his L.E.G.I.O.N. counter parts. In the first issue Supergirl shows up and lends Vril a hand. Actually, when she was in the future, Querl Dox, Brainiac 5, used her as a data mule. He put the plans for something in her head and Vril has to make contact with her to get it out. The interaction between Vril and Querl is hilarious. Anyways we think that Supergirl is going to be his first recruit, but actually he seizes Tribulus. I think he's a distant relative of Validus. And Vril wants that kind of power on his team. It's also kind of ironic as Tribulus was one of the bounty hunters that was after him. In issue #2 Vril heads straight towards the Omega Men. He wants one of them on his team also . . Elu. Elu is basically a living cosmic storm, so she would really come in hand when he goes back to Maltus to attack whomever stole his L.E.G.I.O.N. from him. By the way, the acronym stands for Licensed Extra-Governmental Interstellar Operatives Network. It doesn't really matter, but . . I just thought I'd let you know. Anyways, Elu refuses to come along with him, she's loyal to her Omega Men team, but Vril goes to Starhaven. He needs a tracker and he goes there to collect Wildstar. I think we're going to be in the building phase for a couple of issues here. But that's ok. It gives the reader a chance to get to know the characters and a chance to figure out the dynamics of the various groups here. L.E.G.I.O.N. is really like another form of the Green Lantern Corps. They're kind of an inter-galactic peace-keeping force. They're just in a different part of space. We saw them a couple of times in Strange Adventures and the Rann-Thanagar War. Personally, I'm glad that DC is expanding this part of their Universe. They've got an awful lot of characters floating around out there in space. It'll be nice to have a title or 2 for them to come home to. As it were.

No comments:

Post a Comment