Sunday, February 08, 2009

Faces of Evil: Deathstroke #1 - DC



This story catches us up on the status of Deathstroke after his fight with Geo-Force in the Last Will and Testament one-shot. Which, by the way, was a fantastic issue. Get it. It you can. Anyways, after his fight, Slade ends up at Belle Reve. He has an advanced immune system so, of course, he's going to recover from his wounds. Even if Brion did slice his heart in half. But he's still a schemer. He has fever dreams about everyone in his life that was ever close to him. But, the only one that really bothers him is Ravager, Rose. So he tricks the machines into thinking that his body is shutting down . . remember he has complete control over ever part of his being . . and then when they put him on a suicide watch, he asks for Rose to visit. But it's all a trick. He's not really dying. If anything he's in peak form. But, he wanted to give Rose a message, and . . another reason for her to hate him. "Rose, I've really had a conversion. I'm breaking the cycle. This endless round of violence that we're both trapped in. No more work for hire. From today, I'll decide who needs to die. When they're on my list nothing will save them. " Then he breaks out of Belle Reve and escapes. Which really sends Rose over the edge. "I really am sorry, Rose. I need you to hate me, because the day you stop hating me, you really will be just like me. And I wouldn't wish that on anyone . . ." He then goes about destroying everything from his past life . . safe-houses, deposit boxes, weapons caches, everything. From now on he's going to be more like the villain he started being . . when he first came on the scene in the New Teen Titans. David Hine wrote this one, and as always he does a fantastic job. Between the Last Will & Testament story, by Geoff Johns, and this . . they've done a great job of taking Deathstoke apart and putting him back together into his new form . . and mission. Georges Jeanty does the art. I can't wait to see where Deathstroke shows up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment