Monday, February 16, 2009

Ultimate Spider-man #130 - Marvel


What a fantastic book. I can't believe they're cancelling this one also. Issue #133 is listed as it's last. Say what you will about Brian Bendis, but . . on this book, he's done an incredible job. Maybe he just has a special relationship with this character, or something, but . . this book has been my favorite Spider-man title since it's inception. The thing that's unclear to me, and probably everyone, is that this Ultimatum series, with Magneto's desire to make the Earth, and it's population, pay . . is it the complete end of the Ultimate Universe, or . . is it going to be a new beginning? I can't believe they'd sink this much time and effort into this Universe, and it's handful of titles, just to wash it all away with one of Magneto's doomsday plans. I mean . . they've probably had ideas about something like this happening for quite a while . . the writers and editors, I mean. But, obviously, in the regular Marvel Universe it would be almost impossible to act on those plans. Unless you handled it like any one of the other life-changing mega-crossover events that they've had in the past. You know, the ones where "it's the end of the world", until . . it isn't. But this time? This time they get to finally play it out the way they've always wanted to. And they can make it finite. Which, by all accounts so far, it appears is happening here. While one part of me would love to see them do something and make it stick . . the other part of me is really going to miss these titles and these characters. I really look forward to picking up this book every month and reading it. I'm going to miss it. A lot! But, that's what the Ultimate Universe is all about . . . change, and breaking the status-quo. Which ultimately is why I love it. But ironically, is what they're using to tear it all down. By the way, Stuart Immonen has done a fantastic job with this title since he took over from Mark Bagley. This issue was equally impressive. Enjoy the last 2. They're all we've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment