Monday, February 02, 2009

the Death-Defying 'Devil #2 - Dynamite Entertainment


I thought this was a pretty neat book. I mean, what's not to like . . Alex Ross and Joe Casey wrote it. I also bought the Alex Ross cover. I don't want to get sucked into the variant covers on these Dynamite books also. I'm already spending way to much, week to week. Edgar Salazar does the interiors. They aren't perfect, but . . . he draws some good characters, and some great action scenes. His panels flow pretty well also. Which is especially important when you're drawing a character like the 'Devil . . who doesn't talk very much. Anyways, with the story . . last issue ended when the 'Devil and Justine Boulet, a kind of European super-spy, were trying to stop this terrorist attack on a nuclear plant in Jersey. As this is going on, another hero (?) shows up, the Dragon, but it's hard to tell exactly who's side he's on. He looks and dresses almost exactly like the 'Devil, except a different color scheme, and he seems to have a hard-on for the 'Devil for some reason. He ends up helping to take out some of the terrorists, but only because they're getting in the way of what he wants to do . . hurt the 'Devil. And then, this issue, Silver Streak comes racing onto the scene. He's a Flash type character. He wraps things up pretty fast and also prompts the Dragon to take off early. We do find out though that the Claw seems to be behind all of this. We get a little bit of a flash-back scene from the 'Devil and from Silver Streak. But it's not very big, half a page at the most, so we don't really get a lot of new information. And then, at the end of the book, when the 'Devil and Silver Streak had to Manhattan, thanks to the Green Lama, Justine informs them of another attack on a particle accelerator in Hong-Kong. We get introduced to a new character here, the Ghost. He seems to be a friend of Silver Streaks and he's going to provide the transportation on their next mission. This franchise of books seem like they're pretty straight-forward super-hero fare. My only concern is that with the sheer number of characters being introduced here, I may have to decide to quit buying them just because I have a feeling there's going to be quite a few books coming out. I've liked everything so far, but . . it hasn't blown me away. And unfortunately with the price of books going up . . I can't afford to add a lot to my list. I'll probably stay on the Super-Heroes Project, but I may have to cut back on the minis. And really, that's to bad. But, I have to be realistic too. I may be getting ahead of myself, but . . we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment