Monday, February 16, 2009

Wolverine - First Class #11 - Marvel


So far . . this is the first First Class book that hasn't thrilled me. There wasn't anything specific that I didn't like, but . . the whole thing just seemed kind of forced. Last issue Logan was abducted into this 'Pack' by, what else would you expect . . . a beautiful woman. She actually posed as a damsel in distress. Anyways, Logan falls for it, invites her into his home, and then she turns on him. Or, I guess I should say turns him . . . into a werewolf. Nyssa thinks that Logan is her soul-mate. So while Malik, the alpha male of the pack doesn't necessarily agree with her, he can't balk to much because she's his sister. I'm just not sure . . I think it was the whole premise of this story here that I just had a hard time swallowing. You even get this feeling as the story is moving along that maybe Malik is actually Creed. I mean . . he's got the long flowing blond hair, he's the alpha male, and . . . he runs around the whole issue calling Logan 'Pup'. Obviously it can't be him, but . . they went to great strides to get people to make the connection. But there's no obvious reason for it, and . . . obviously it can't be true. In the end Kitty and Jack Russell . . no it's not a terrier . . help take the pack down. Why? Well that's another absurd part of the story. A lawyer that took over the local plant wanted them to cut costs, so . . they started dumping the silver nitrate into the local water supply. Which made the whole area unlivable to the pack that had already marked this area as their territory. So Malik decides to go after the lawyer for what he did to him, and his pack. The lawyer also just happens to be Kitty's father. There's huge leap in logic there, and . . . I don't see how someone in this frame of mind, or condition, or infection . . . whatever? . . I don't see how they can put all of that together. And, in the end . . we don't really know what happens to any of them. It's all kind of . . disheveled. I've liked Fred Van Lente's stories through the first part of this series. This one just seemed really hard to swallow. The artwork by Hugo Petrus was ok. My only comment to him would be that I think he needs to work on his frame flow. Some of the poses or angles just didn't fit. I'm not ready to drop the book . . just yet. But, I was really disappointed in this chapter. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment