Sunday, February 08, 2009

Ghost Rider #31 - Marvel


I'm really trying to get into this story-line. I really am. But . . I just kind of have mixed feelings about it. I know that the whole thing is meant to clear up a lot of the convoluted history, and origins of the Ghost Riders . . the Spirits of Vengeance. But . . I guess with everything that I've read before with this series, and the first two, I'm just having a hard time buying it all. You know what I mean? Overall, it's an interesting story. And this issue, Molek starts to explain to Sara how come Johnny never really knew about all of these other Ghost Riders. "Most Spirits of Vengeance operate alone, usually with no idea who they serve or where their power even comes from. Your people, the Caretakers, it was always their job to try and keep us in the dark. To deal in lies, half-truths and misdirection. So that the power could never be traced back to it's true source." And they're all preparing for battle. Danny and his horde of angels are about to attack the hidden city in the Congo, just as Zadkiel and his army are about to attack the gates of Heaven. Zadkiel needs Danny to defeat the rest of the Spirits, and absorb their power, so that he can then take it from Danny. That'll give him just enough power to put him over the edge and be able to smash through the gates. But, on a more down to earth level, it looks like Johnny and Danny will be facing off next issue. Which is what we all really want to see. So anyways, I'm reading it . . I'm trying to get into it, but . . . it's all just a lot of mysticism and voodoo. I guess it just kind of seems to me that all of this 'knowledge' is going to drastically change the character. But I won't know for sure until this story wraps up. Then we'll see how much of a leap of faith it takes to stay with the story. Jason Aaron is still writing it, and Tan Eng Haut gets a little help from Roland Boschi with the art this issue. Roland does the flashback scenes with Deputy Kowalski. Overall, I enjoyed the issue. But, like I said before, I'm just having a hard time buying it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment