Sunday, February 15, 2009

Legion of Super-heroes #50 - DC

A couple of things bother me about this issue, but before I get to them, I just want to reiterate how much I love these characters. I know this isn't really the end, but . . I'm still sad that this book is finished. We'll still get the Legion in the Legion of 3 Worlds story-line, and . . I'm hoping maybe some more after things there are wrapped up. A guy can hope. Right? Anyways, on to this issue. First I was disappointed that Jim Shooter wasn't here for the final issue. What the frakk? The guys been doing the scripts for the last year or so, but then on the final issue they bring in a scrub . . or scab. Whatever. I'm not saying anything about Justin Thyme's story, but . . . what the frakk? Also, they've replaced Francis Manapul with Ramon Bachs. Now I've got nothing against Justin or Ramon, but . . . these guys have created a great set of issues here. And now they're gone without so much as a goodbye? I just think that stinks. Anyways, this issue wraps up the story about the invasion from the Infinity Net. Basically, thousands of years ago this race decided that there was to much famine, disease, strife, etc in the normal universe so they created digital copies of themselves and transferred their essences into the Infinity Net. From there, they've decided to erase from the universe the source of all of that drama and conflict by wiping all life from various galaxy's that make it up. Brainiac sends digital copies of some of the Legion in to fight, but Invisible Kid wants Brainiac to upgrade his avatar so that he can impress Gizelle. So, basically, with his modifications he gives Brainiac a 'foot in the door', as it were, to the Infinity Net's code and programming. Once he realizes that, it's a pretty simple process for Brainiac to gain control of it and shut down all the Destroyers and intruder planets. However, he has to clone new bodies for the Legionnaires that went into the net because the Destroyers ripped them to shreds. At the same time he makes a body for Dream-Girl and brings her back to life. So . . it looks like the wedding really is on. Overall I thought it was a good issue. I just didn't like that Jim and Francis were left out of the closing chapter of the story-arc that they created. But, maybe there was something to it that I don't know. I just hope that these guys will be back sometime this year.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I nearly flipped out after I read this comic book myself. I had some rather unkind words towards Dan Didio on how he handled the end of this series over at my blog. Most of the stuff Jim Shooter had been working on here was just totally disregarded... Princess Projectra, who had been a pretty major player in the comic books leading up to this issue wasn't even mentioned here! How do you just totally ignore Projectra and her storyline here, in the last issue of the series?!? And wasn't Cosmic Boy supposed to come back in this issue as well? I don't know what the harm would have been in allowing Jim to finish off the story the way he wanted to. This was a pretty lousy way to end this great series...

    ReplyDelete