Saturday, February 21, 2009

Outsiders #15 - DC


What a fantastic book. This issue, along with the Batman & the Outsiders Special, is really just a prelude into the new direction for this series. And from what I've seen so far . . it looks to be a fantastic new direction. Peter J Tomasi will be writing the new book, and Lee Garbett and Trevor Scott will be handling the art. Right now our team consists of Geo-Force, Black Lightning, Halo, Metamorpho, Katana, the Creeper and Owlman. I do have a question though, is Owlman the same Owlman from the Watchmen? He's not. I know. I'm just joking. But, I think we're going to be picking up another member here somewhere. At the end of the issue Alfred shows the team a rocket that can hold 8 passengers. So, either Alfred will be joining them on the missions, or . . there's an 8th member we don't know about yet. That's ok. I like the mystery. Anyways, thier mission is best explained by Alfred . . . "Batman formed the Outsiders so there would always be a 'Batman' outside of Gotham. He hoped that a team representing different aspects of himself would fare best against the evil force that is gathering . . that individuals with distinct abilities, when placed together, would form a unique unit capable of combating the darkness. There's no use in saving only one city from the abyss. A world-view is necessary. The name's Alfred Thaddeus Crane Pennyworth. Hereafter you can call me the Boss. I will be your eyes and ears on the world. Each and every operational directive will come from me and me alone. The decision to be an Outsider comes with great sacrifice. You will need to shut down your life. You will have no contact with the outside world except on rare occasions. You will truly be an outsider. The only people you will be interacting with other than yourselves will be me. This is a tour of duty so to speak. Once you . . enlist you will not be able to see or speak to your loved ones for months at a time. You either embrace this concept or you don't." Of course they all accept, and over the next couple of days say goodbye to anyone they have out there. But most of them, really, are outsiders already. Except for Jefferson. He's going to have the hardest time. Halo comes back within a few hours. And the threat? Apparently Batman is of the notion that everything bad that's happened over the years . . everything they've fought . . has been part of someone else's much bigger plan. Someone that all of these other people didn't even know existed, or that they were working for. I'm taking a stab in dark here but, I'm wondering if it's going to be Khyber who we met in Superman, because of Orion, and Final Crisis. Anyways, I can't wait for this series to get going. It's going to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment