Saturday, February 21, 2009

Batman Confidential #26 - DC


I'm actually pretty excited about this issue. Nunzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir write it. It features a character from the Batman TV series that we've never actually seen in a Batman title . . . King Tut. But that's not why I'm excited. I'm excited because this story-arc is going to be drawn by one of my favorite artists of all time, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez. And with Kevin Nowlan inking him, it should be spectacular. For some reason, they always put these really heavy inkers on Jose's work. But that's not Kevin's style so I'm expecting for them to mesh together very well. And they do. Now if you're not used to Jose's work, you might not see anything spectacular here. But, what I love is the fluidity of his panels, and the natural movement and poses of his characters. Especially their hands and limbs. Plus he takes different angles with his scenes than most artists do. Yes there's artists out there that are flashier, or more 'real' looking. But to me, Jose's work is always going to be near and dear to my heart. Anyways, this story, although seemingly about King Tut, also seems to involve the Riddler quite a bit. All we know so far is that this King Tut looking character is going around and killing people. 3 so far. And they all seem to be connected to this museum in some form or another. First he kills the Curator and then 2 of it's Board members. Then, at each scene he's been heard talking in riddles. So far the clues are 'sunlight', 'darkness' and 'cleanliness'. Batman goes to Arkham to talk to Nigma, but he claims to know nothing of the incidents. However, after the third murder, which Edward predicted supposedly from the clues, Batman returns to Arkham to find his cell empty. It was an interesting first issue. I'll be interested to see where this story-line goes. But to me, the best part of the book was Jose's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment