Monday, February 16, 2009

Fantastic Four #563 - Marvel


In case you haven't noticed . . I try to do the books in the order that they came out. And, in that stack, I also separate by publisher. I don't really have a reason . . I just do. So as I begin each weeks of books I do the DC first, then the misc. and then the Marvel. I guess I could best explain it by saying that, to me, there's a distinctive story-telling style difference with DC and Marvel. The other titles, to me, fall in-between, but . . with DC and Marvel . . they just feel different. Maybe I'm just crazy, but . . that's just how they feel to me. So, with that in mind, I just find it easier to read each publishers titles together than bouncing back and forth. Which brings me to the point of this. The DC titles I can read and get through pretty fast. However, for some reason, the Marvels aren't that way. For some reason, occasionally, they cause me frustration and feeling a need to procrastinate their reading and blogging. I really can't explain it, but . . it happens week after week. Enough that I've noticed the trend. My only logical explanation is that since I don't read as many Marvel titles, I'm just not as familiar with the characters. Therefore, the stories don't seem as fluid to me as they do with their DC counterparts. But, now especially, with the economy I have to limit the number of titles I collect. I have to stick with what I like, and what I know. I'm really not trying to make excuses for anything . . I just felt that if I expressed this in words it would help me sort it out. I know it's trivial, but . . it's just something that bounces around through my noggin. Anyways, on to the Fantastic Four. First I have to say that I'm really surprised that Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch are still here. They're both incredible talents and I just didn't think that they would stay tied down to this title this long. However, I'm fantastically grateful that they are. I've been a huge FF fan for quite some time, but I've especially enjoyed the last 12 issues or so. Mark has really introduced some great ideas here. And Bryan's cinematic style is simply wonderful. Anyways, the good new with this story is that Ben and Debbie are engaged now. However, the media is in a frenzy about it and Debbie is just starting to think about how all of this is going to change her life. The bad new? Last issue Victor gave Reed a vague warning about . . . his masters. And at the end of the issue we saw them arriving on Nu-Earth. By the time we see them in this issue . . . the Earth is completely destroyed, along with all of it's population. The only thing left for them to do is . . . extinguish the sun. What's next for them? "Your favorite little protege. Our favorite pupil. Can you believe twenty years have passed already? Victor Von Doom? This should be interesting." While Victor sits slyly grinning in his cell. This is a fantastic title right now. Every issue I'm left eagerly anticipated the next chapter. It's nice to see this book in all it's glory . . . again!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I agree with you on both points concerning Mark and Bryan. I'm also kind of surprised that they decided to stick with the FF for as long as they have. Mark actually has the FF feeling relevant again, which is a great thing, considering the FF was Marvel's preeminent book for so many years.

    It's also funny how you describe the differences you perceive between the Marvel and DC books. For me, it's the opposite! It always takes me a little longer to put together my reviews on the DC comics, due to the fact that I grew up reading only Marvel Comics. Being new(ish) to the DC universe, I'll occasionally find myself a little confused by certain character's actions/motivations.

    For me, I've noticed that I tend to cut the DC books I read a little more slack, due to the fact that I'm still learning the intricacies of the DCU. Where as when I notice something off in the Marvel Universe, no matter how small, it drives me crazy, because my knowledge of the Marvel Universe is so vast.

    ReplyDelete