Sunday, February 08, 2009

Black Lightning - Year One #2 - DC


I like the feel of this book. Superman even makes a visit this issue . . it is Metropolis after all. But he doesn't come as Superman. He spends the day with Jefferson as Clark Kent. I guess he's trying to write an article on how he's trying to turn around the school system on the south-side of Metropolis . . suicide slums. He leaves wondering what he can do to help. We also find out that his whole family knows what he's up to. He thought he was hiding it from them, you know . . keeping them safe and all. But . . it turns out they know their father and husband. They actually try to help him out by giving him a new costume. Jefferson's friend, Peter, is there and tells him "My brother gave me the fabric. It's like a blend of Kevlar and neoprene. The belt's sort of a grounding gizmo. It should help your control." The problem is, once he gets on the radar . . through the media and newspaper, now Tobias and Swann know that they have a real problem. We don't however find out anything yet about the Hundred. They're the local gang. We see them a couple of times but we don't really know what they're up to. Like I said, I really like the feel of the book. It's kind of upbeat, hopeful . . inspirational even. It's got all the crime and drama of your regular super-hero book, but . . it's nice to have that positive feeling to it. Jen Van Meter is doing a great job with the story. Plus, like I said last time, I really like what Cully Hamner is doing with his pencils. I don't know what it is, but it's something different. I like it. Hey, and DC isn't charging $3.99 for it's minis like Marvel is. That's a good thing to.

No comments:

Post a Comment