Sunday, February 08, 2009

the Spirit #25 - DC


Ok. So this isn't the final issue of this book, but . . it's the final issue I'm going to read. I just can't see wasting my time on it anymore. I have to cut the cord sometime. Nows as good as ever. Anyways, I think I've finally figured out why it's so hard for me to get into this book. There's virtually no character development. I mean we get these stories every issue with the Spirit, and Dolan and occasionally Ellen. But we don't really know anything about them other than the way they interact with each other. Well, we have had a couple of Spirit solo stories, with little or no supporting cast. In those stories, we've learned some about him. But really, he's still pretty much a mystery to us. The stories are more about the crime or the pursuit than necessarily about the characters. And then, on top of that, the crime stories . . . are pretty lame. This issue is about the Octopus trying to corner the canned mushroom market. He wants people to cook with his mushrooms, which contain a certain chemical, that when mixed with chipotle chilies causes a chemical reaction that produces a fast-acting poison. This is how he plans on poisoning the population. But, he doesn't want to seem to obvious when he blows up the 2 mushroom factories in town, so he sets fire to the Sardine factory just to throw them off his trail. Yeah . . . right. The crimes are predictable and obvious. And . . they're lame. You end up with this 'who cares?' feeling afterwards. I did appreciate Aluir Amancio and Hilary Barta's art this issue. It was more appealing than the last few issues. So . . I guess that's it. I'm done with this title. It just didn't get turned around for me, and . . I don't see it happening anytime in the near future. So . . Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment