Saturday, February 21, 2009

Simon Dark #17 & #18 - DC

Another book that's going by the way-side. Hopefully not permanently. The character has changed. Simon was an enigma when we first met him. However, through his relationship with Tom and Rachel, and then finding his father . . or creator, Gus . . he's come to learn about himself and who he is. So the character we started this series with, isn't the same as the one in these 2 issues. So maybe . . sometime in the future, this character will come back, adapting from these changes . . to be a new protector for, well, wherever he decides to live. The other creature that Gus created . . he doesn't really have a name, goes after Gus in issue #17. This first attempt at life is filled with anger and pain. He wants Gus to feel that. However, now that Tom and Simon know that Gus is their father . . they want to protect him. At all costs. At the end of issue #17 it appears that the creature has accomplished his task. But then Simon rips him apart. Tom who was knocked out in the struggle awakens to find the dismembered body on the ground, and Simon floating in the grasp of some octopus-alien looking creature. In issue #18 we find out that Simon gave up something to give Gus another chance at life. Basically, he gave up 2 of his personalities . . 2 hearts, 2 minds . . Peter and Thomas . . in order to give Gus a reprieve. "I gained some control, but I lost two hearts and minds. I can't even describe the ache." But with Gus back, and knowing that Tom is his brother and will always have his back . . I think he thinks the trade-off is worth it. After that it appears that everything goes back to normal, but . . Simon says good-bye to Rachel and takes off. "I know who I am now. I know where I came from. I don't know where I'll go next. But I am no longer afraid. And I help when I can. That's what Simon does." And that's why I think we may see him again. Maybe he'll resurface somewhere. I thought Steve Niles and Scott Hampton did a good job with this series. They really brought us into the life of this character and made us feel and care about him. However, he is based in Gotham. And with the changing landscape on the horizon . . maybe there just isn't a place for him in it. Right now, at least. That's to bad. This ended up being a nice little new creation. I'm sorry to see it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment