Sunday, August 03, 2008

Joker's Asylum: Poison Ivy #1 - DC


I do like this book. I thought JT Krul did a nice job with the story. He had the right mix of adventure and origin. This would be a good book for someone who knows nothing of Batman's rogues. The same could be said for the last 2 also. They've all, basically, been origin stories, with a little adventure mixed in. This issue, though, had the majority of it devoted to teaching us about Pamela Isley. I also enjoyed the art of new-comer Guillem March. He had a really nice style with very crisp lines. As you can see by the cover. He also made Pamela, Ivy, look very sexy throughout this issue. This guy really shows some incredible talent. My only complaint is that this issue read like an episode of Tales from the Crypt. With the Joker being the Crypt-keeper. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I did expect something different from this book. I did enjoy it. I liked the story and art. But . . at the same time, it just felt to me like it could've been presented as a back-up story . . not necessarily one deserving of it's own book. Obviously, with the villains being returned from Salvation Run, we need to bring readers back up to speed on the major players. I'm sure that's what these issues are all about. Plus with the enormity of the movie . . I'm sure more Batman books can't hurt the bottom line. To me, this particular issue was saved by the art. If it wasn't as good as it was, I would've been severely disappointed over spending my $3 here. As it is . . I'm ambiguous. But I still think Poison Ivy looks hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment