Saturday, August 30, 2008

X-Men Origins - Jean Grey #1 - Marvel


This was a great Origin issue by Sean McKeever and Mike Mayhew. Mike does his painted style with the interiors, much in the same fashion as the cover, and it looks absolutely fantastic. The artwork is really sharp looking. And the stories not bad either. I'm sure we all know the origin of Jean Grey, but it's been quite a while since we've seen her this young. This book starts at the very beginning when her powers very first manifested. I would guess she's about 12 or 13. Her powers manifest when her friend Annie is killed. Jean feels guilty about that because they were playing Frisbee, and one she threw went out into the street. I thought it was interesting to see this from the very beginning . . the scared little girl . . and the even more desperate parents. Plus we get to see the rest of the original X-team when they were in their teens. Which we get regularly in the X-Men First Class book. But in this one, I think they're even younger. Also, we haven't seen Jean's sister Sarah in quite a while. What ever happened to her. Also, I'm surprised with the intensity of Jean's powers that she didn't manifest powers also. Like I said, this one begins from the very first days. Chuck was just beginning to put his little 'team' together, not to mention his plans for the school. In fact, when she first got to the school, they went out on missions without her . . even though she'd trained with them. But she found a way to get out anyway. I was very entertained by this book. I'm glad it was just a 1-shot. They could've dragged it out into 2 or 3 issues, easily, but . . they didn't need to. I thought that was a good decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment