Saturday, August 23, 2008

X-Men: Odd Men Out #1 - Marvel


I'm sorry . . . I was just talking about how much I love the X-Men . . and all of these characters, but, I gotta' say . . . this issue was rather boring. It seems to me that somebody happened to find these 2 stories that Dave Cockrum did and just decided to print them. I guess they would be ok for a novice X-Men reader. Basically Charles goes to visit his friend, former FBI agent Fred Duncan, and between the 2 of them they discuss the complete history of the X-Men. We're talking right from the very beginning of their formation up until that last time that Charles lost the use of his legs again. They're both actually pretty dated stories. The second one is about the New Mutants. The Mad Thinker happens upon one of Apocalypse's old bases and after reviewing his files decides to make mutants his new target. Sure we all miss Dave, but these stories were probably not printed the first time for a reason . . they're boring! But they put them in a new package and we have to shell out $4 to find that out. I mean there was some talent here . . Roger Stern wrote the first story, and Michael Higgins wrote the second . . but even that wasn't enough to keep me awake during either story. Dave, my hats off to you for all of your stupendous work with these characters, but this compilation, I felt, was a waste of my time and $4. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment