Sunday, August 10, 2008

Uncanny X-Men #500 - Marvel


I know! There's a lot of pictures here, but I just couldn't help myself. There were 4 different covers to this particular issue, and they're all fantastic. But how could you expect anything less with the likes of Terry Dodson, Greg Land, Alex Ross and Michael Turner. There were also 2 sketch variants. They were 1 per 200, so no . . I didn't get those. In fact I wasn't even shown those so I don't even know if my guy got them or not. I didn't even know they existed until I went to the Mile High Comics website to borrow these. They don't have pictures of them either. Although I did do some digging and found some up for sale on E-Bay. The one's I saw were starting at around $300. So I think I'm going to have to do without those as part of my collection. You can't get everything . . I guess. And to think I was never a big 'Variant Cover' guy . . until the last couple of years. Now that's the first question that pops out of my mouth every week when I stop in the shop . . . "What kind of variants do you have for me this week?" I guess the marketing is working. Lucky me! Ah, I figure when I turn 80 or 90 or something, I'll be able to sell them and go on vacation or something. Although by that time that'll probably be my only source of income. Not to much pressure there. Huh? Anyways, I thought it was a pretty decent issue. I enjoyed both Terry and Greg's art. My only question was, what was the determining factor on who did what pages? It seemed kind of random to me. You know how sometimes one artist will do the current scenes, and one the flashbacks, well . . like I said, this one just seemed rather random. Although, there were about 3 or 4 new story-lines that were getting started this issue, so maybe it had something to do with that. Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction wrote the story. The main part I liked was the acclamation of the group to San Francisco. It was nice to see them not have to face the pressure of being ostracized by their community on top of everything else they have to deal with. Although, all of that may change after their altercation with Magneto and the Sentinels running rampant across the city. Sometimes they really seem like a trouble magnet. Maybe that's their secondary mutation. You think? And what is the High Evolutionary up to? We have to wonder if Warren is ok. There shouldn't be anything to worry about, but . . with the X-Men . . that's just when you should worry. So . . we'll see next issue. And finally it looks like with their arrival in town, they've also brought out the 'haters'. It looks like 'mutant-bashing' could be the new past-time, and it's starting with a group call the Hellfire Cult. Like I said there's 3 or 4 different story-lines that seem to be starting up here. Plus . . I have a question. Do the Astonishing X-Men stories take place in this same Universe? The first story-arc didn't really seem to be, but with the new creative team it seems like the continuity between the 3 books is a little tighter. So I assume it is, but, if so, how does that explain Joss Whedon's story-arcs? It's just something I've been wondering about. It doesn't really matter, because I still enjoy the stories, but . . . I just like to know how all the pieces fit. It's amazing to me that this book has reaching #500. The first X-Men book that I bought off the racks was Uncanny #150. That was the first one I bought the day it came out. I filled in a lot before then, since that purchase, but there was just something about Magneto on the cover that drew me to it. Anyways, it been non-stop ever since. And it looks like, from here, the X-Men are ready to get started on the next leg of their journey. I know the X-Men have a long, rich history, but it seems like everything's starting over from here. It's a brand new world, and I can't wait to see what these guys do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment