Saturday, August 30, 2008

the Invincible Iron Man #4 - Marvel


Ok, I have to say it . . all of this hype that Matt Fraction has been getting lately . . well, in my eyes . . . it's all very well deserved. We're only 4 issues in to this series and already Matt's introduced as many ideas as . . well, as many as Tony could think up. This issue Tony acquires a Cola company. When questioned about this, Tony replies, " What I like about you guys is your vending machines. Did you know there are some places in Africa where you've got a machine for every thirty-five people? To say nothing of the warehouses and supply lines you've established over generations? All the governments and NGO's in the world can't get as established in the third world as you guys . . . I'm buying you for vending machines from which we'll distribute retrovirals and . . once we get it . . the AIDS vaccine, all across the third world. Your vending machines are gonna save more lives than the Berlin airlift." That is brilliant. And brilliantly explained. And, really, that's just the tip of the iceberg. The method for which Tony is going to track down Ezekiel, and bring his operation down . . is just as inventive. He thinks of it as he's playing chess with Reed Richards. But it's Reed . . so they don't play normal chess . . they play 6 boards at a time. Tony puts Reed in check on all 6 boards. Not to sound to cheesy, but this series . . actually the story . . is very inventive. I really enjoy how cerebral Matt has made this. It's fantastic. Oh yeah . . by the way . . I also think Salvador Larroca is one of the best artists out there. He's equally as brilliant . . just, in a different way. Like I said, I basically picked this series up on a lark. I'm glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment