Sunday, August 17, 2008

Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four #3 - Marvel


I bought this book because of it's Fantastic Four connections. Well . . that and Barry Kitson did the art. He's one of my favorites. But, I did not buy it because it was a Secret Invasion cross-over. I'm glad too, because it really has nothing to do with that. Well . . except that Lyja is involved, Johnny's old girlfriend, whom we haven't seen hide nor hair of since Heroes Reborn. Its hard to believe it's been that long. Anyways, her and Johnny had it out last issue, but this issue . . . they make up . . kind of. Lyja fills Johnny in on what she's been doing since he last saw her as Laura Green. Basically she was recruited by the Queen, Veranke, because she had infiltrated human society for so long. Also because of her ties to the Fantastic Four. Veranke thought that she could call upon her patriotism, and because of the way Johnny hurt her, to take out the team and kill them all. That's really what she was supposed to do. Which is why she transported the top of the Baxter Building into the Negative Zone . . . to try to save them without openly resisting the Queen's orders. Anyways, long story short, Ben breaks into the Negative Zone prison, and with the kids help, convinces the Tinkerer to come back with them and fix the transporter. They head back to New York City, but Lyja decides that she's going to stay in the Zone and try to find herself. And that was the end of the story. Like I said . . it doesn't really have a whole lot to do with the invasion. I'm not discounting Roberto Aquirre-Sacasa's writing. I'm sure he had certain parameters in which he had to operate. I'm sure his hands were tied, as far as how far he could go with this story. So, for what he had to work with, I thought it was an 'ok' story. And it just gave me another reason for not being all wrapped up in all the 'Invasion' cross-overs. Thanks for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment