Sunday, August 10, 2008

The X Files #0 - WildStorm


Normally, I wouldn't be so excited about this book . . . the reinvention of an old TV series, but . . I have to admit, I'm an X-Files geek. I saw all the shows when they came out. I have all the seasons on DVD. And, I have a comic box full of all the various books that TOPPS! comics put out . . what was it, like 10 or 15 years ago now? Wow! It seems like it was yesterday. At the time, the X-Files was easily my favorite show on TV. And then, I think, Next Generation was right behind it. But this show was cutting edge. I was also, apparently, one of the only people that enjoyed the previous movie. I thought it was a natural course of events . . following the series. Now I will admit, I haven't seen the new movie yet. I haven't really been in to it in a while. I love the characters, but hey . . . it's been some time since we've visited them. I was very happy to see this book come out though. And yes I did buy the $10 variant cover. I'm a sucker! And yes I will see the movie, although it probably won't be until it gets to the $1 movies. I love that place! Anyways . . the comic . . the reason we're here . . I thought this issue was actually . . kind of boring. Sorry! I know it's really just the set-up . . the series will be starting in October, I think, but . . it just didn't 'do it' for me. Don't get me wrong, it was great see the characters again, and I'm still looking forward to the continuing series, and when I see the movie. I just wasn't thrilled with this particular issue. But, like I said, it's only the start. Reading the back pages, from what I understand, Frank Spotnitz is writing these stories to be placed, chronologically, somewhere between season 2 and season 5. He likes the feel of the characters at that time, not to mention the fantastic supporting cast that was available. And while finishing this book, he was also finishing the movie, so . . that may have had something to do with this issue. Who knows? However I was thrilled to death with Brian Denham's artwork. As far as the visual of this book goes . . it was fantastic. My interest in the series will definitely increase if he's to be the continuing artist. I think the other part I didn't like about this issue is that there's no real clear resolution. But, now that I think about it, most of the actual X-Files episodes were also like that. Frank also says in the back that he sees the X-Files stories as 'endless'. Which is really how this issue ends . . . that it could come back to bite them sometime in the future. I thought it was ok. But I'll wait until I get into the continuing series a few issues before I make a final decision. I am glad to see them back though.

No comments:

Post a Comment