Saturday, August 09, 2008

the Spirit #19 - DC


First of all, I enjoyed the art in all 3 stories in this issue. The artists aren't any of my favorites, but they all did a good job in styling the visuals along with the theme of the stories. Everything fit together very well. Jason Armstrong did the first story. It was set in the past, about some kids who learn a lesson. The second story was pencilled by Aluir Amancio. It was about a rabid-dog of a villain who ends up changing his ways. Sure it was out of necessity, but . . he still changed. And the final story was drawn by Paul Rivoche. This was probably my favorite of the 3 because the whole story poked fun at itself. It was about the murdering of a comic-book artist. In the story they take the mediums pressures and pit-falls and blow them way out of proportion. I mean who would try to kill and artist with their inking pen? One it wouldn't work, and two . . you'd have to buy another. But of course, in the end, the whole thing was blamed on the Editor. Isn't that the way it always is? Sergio Aragones and Mark Evanier are the creative force behind this book now. I do actually enjoy their stories, but I feel like there's really only so much they can do with this character. In order to keep him in character, it seems like they have tremendous restraints. So, I'll give them props for what they have been able to accomplish. I still think the books kind of a 'snoozer', but . . I don't think it's necessarily a creative problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment