Tuesday, August 05, 2008

the Amazing Spider-man #566 - Marvel


First of all, I have to say . . what an amazing cover. Slight pun there. I think Phil Jimenez is one of the most underrated talents out there right now. I absolutely love his work. And this issue . . he does the cover and the interiors. And, if that isn't enough, we get to see his interpretation of the new Kraven this issue. Trust me, he's . . she's . . not whom you expect her to be. I do have one issue to bring up though, about Marc Guggenheim's story. On page 24, as Spidey is about to fight Vermin, he thinks, "This guy nearly killed me once, right after Mary Jane and I moved in together . . ." How does Spidey know that? Was that an intentional slip, or . . is he getting bits of his memory back? I don't think that was supposed to be in there, but I'm not sure how they can explain it away. Hmmm! Anyways, this new Kraven has abducted Peter's new roommate, Vin, because she thinks he's Spider-man. And now, she's got him on a hunt in the sewers of Manhattan. Spidey runs in to Vermin while he's looking for Vin. But it looks like Vermin's going to get the chance to finish what he didn't finish before. Like I said, I love the cover, but . . I don't like how what it represents affected the story. When Kraven takes Vin she makes him put on Spider-man's costume. So when he get's home, finds out that he's missing and decides to go after him . . . he's got nothing to wear. So he goes to Matt Murdock and asks to borrow one of his Daredevil outfits. I'm not sure where that leap in logic came from. So it was a little . . questionable to me. Overall I liked the story, I'm just not sure that Marc did all of his homework. But the artwork was fantastic. I'm beginning to question though . . . how long can this One More Day thing carry on? I think it's starting to create some continuity questions in the Marvel Universe. But maybe that's just me. I still love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment