Saturday, August 30, 2008

Green Lantern Corps #27 - DC

This is another book that just seems to get better and better with every issue. I gotta say, after seeing the last series . . the one that ran for about 24 issues at the end of the first Green Lantern series . . I didn't really expect all that much from this one. I thought the Green Lantern Quarterly series was better than the Corps series. But this presentation, the first 27 issues, has been phenomenal. And, like I said, since issue #1 it's only gotten better and better. Look at that cover! I don't know who Rodolfo Migliara is . . I'm not familiar with his work . . but that cover is stunning. Hopefully we'll see him some more around the DC Universe. The interiors on this issue are by guest-artist Luke Ross. They look equally as good. He really went all out with this issue. What I like about this title is that there's always a series of sub-plots going on. The story is never straight-forward and easy. There's always a tangled web of things going on that effect some of our favorite Corps members . . and some we've barely met yet. It's hard to say who my favorites are because every time there's a story that focus' on someone new, I have to add a name to the list. This issue we're introduced to Morro and Saarek. Morro is the official guardian of the Lantern Crypt . . where they keep all their fallen heroes. So I guess he's the real Crypt-keeper. Anyways, Saarek's power is more subtle. He apparently talks to the dead. He's like the John Edwards of the Corps. But he's bothered by what they're telling him. They're telling him that they're cold . . and getting colder every day. And they're afraid . . afraid of what's to come. Meanwhile Guy and Kyle have finally opened their Warrior bar on OA. This should be an interesting focal, and communal, point for all the various Lanterns. And at the end of the issue we find out that someone has gone out and killed all the family members of the current Lantern rookies . . and dumped their remains on the training field they now occupy. It's sad, but now they have a new target. Oh yeah, by the way, we see Mongul as he escapes from the Black Mercy planet. Did I mention, back at the bar, after Kyle leaves, Guy finds a sketch he had been working on and it shows a Lantern being torn in half. What's that all about? I think Peter J Tomasi is doing an excellent job with this title, these stories and the sheer amount of varying characters. I'm sure it's probably pretty daunting trying to give them all a little bit of the spot-light. But I think he's handling it very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment